Saturday, November 29, 2008

The art of Waiting

Among the many descriptive words one can used to describe a person, I know that patience can hardly be associated with my name. If I'm standing in the queue of a fast food (let's say) and the crew can't get my order right, forget it - call your manager instead. If I asked for an ice tea refill and you ignored me like I was talking to myself- do the same, I will talk to that supervisor. If it will be another person in my situation, they would probably just say their order again or wait some more. Well, I can't. I don't intend to be rude nor I'm angry when I asked for a supervisor- I just don't have the patience (and at times the tolerance). I just can't wait.

The art of waiting is something that I'm learning. I'm action oriented and if I want something to be done- I do it right away. I hate to just sit around and watch events as they unfold them right before my eyes. Much as I raise my brow on people who spend their time doing wishful thinking - like their troubles will go away if they just sit around. There sure is a downside to this but I think the pro's will outnumber the con's so to speak. Yes, it's nice to wait for opportunity and breaks - but why not try going out of your way to proactively look for that opportunity and that break (let's say in career).

It's nice to wait...to take things slow after all there are really situations you can't control and rush but what I'm trying to say is that - people shouldn't fall on the trap of just waiting and waiting. At the end of the day, there are things that needs to be done and you can't accomplish them by simply waiting (more like waiting for somebody to get the job done for you).

No comments: