Friday, November 28, 2008

Bits and Pieces

I am a psychology major and back in college our professors used to tell us that there are two kinds of people who take up such course: (1) the one who wants it and (2) the one who needs it. My life is not perfect, I had my shares of struggles (who doesn't) but what I'm saying is that, it's far from a telenovela like the others. I know that I am lucky with a lot of things and life has been good to me (so far). So I guess, I belong to the first group.

Among the many theories and principles and schools of thoughts that I have learned, by far, the one that I find very practical and undoubtedly useful is the idea of owning one's emotions. Numerous studies can proved that in any psychological setting, it is very crucial that one should own her/his emotions. Intervention to a troubled kid, alcoholics, failing marriage would not be possible if the person involve will not own the feeling that indeed, they have a problem and they need help.

Simply put, this dynamic asks us to be truthful with our very own selves. In a word, it is asking a person to be HONEST - no lying, no bullshits to thyself. I know it's hard. It's always easier said than done but try it, try admitting to yourself that simple thing you are pushing to your subconscious, I guarantee, you will feel a whole lot better.

No comments: