Monday, December 15, 2008

Simbang Gabi (9 Mornings)

Simbang Gabi or Mass at Dawn is a nine-day novena to the Blessed Mother. The novena begins December 16 as early as 4 in the morning and culminates with the “Misa de Gallo” on Christmas.

Among the many traditions that Filipino is known for, this is the one that I liked best. Even from way back, I can vividly remember how much I look forward to December so that I can go with my mother to Simbang gabi. And during my high school days, most of my classmates would go to this morning masses and most of us are sleepy during the day. Our economic teacher – Ms. Maddie, would even tell us to take a nap for a couple of minutes since she cannot really hold a class with a bunch of kids all tired and sleepy, hehe.

But attending this morning masses is no easy task. Aside from the fact that you have to wake up early, just getting out of bed is so hard. It’s all cold outside and how nice it is just to stay in bed and cuddle those pillows. Other than that, the water is so cold that you can hardly touch it (my sister would often tease me, here we go again, she is having fear factor with the cold water).

These are the small things that makes my morning masses such an experience every year. Even though, I'm struggling to wake up each day, it's all worth it when I get to complete the 9 day novena mass for the Blessed Mother.

One down, eight more days to go. By that, I mean, I also need to go home and sleep or else I would be sleepy come tomorrow's mass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now you see this is the kind of thing I read that makes me love you even more.