Tuesday, December 23, 2008

23rd Wedding Anniversary of My Parents

December 21 – my parents celebrated there 23rd wedding anniversary. Over breakfast before that day, they were already talking and reminiscing how time fly so fast. My father said that it seems like just yesterday when he married my mother; decided that she will be the mother of his kids and will be the only woman on his life.

There story is one of the most beautiful love story I have ever heard. Time and again I have retold it to a different group of audience and it never failed to amaze them.

So here, I’m telling there story one more time. Both of them met in the baptism of my cousin, Desiree – my mom was one of the godmother and by default my father was also a godfather. They are just acquaintances – he was involved by that time with someone else and so did she. The celebrations of my cousin’s baptism finish late and my mom has to stay there for a night. My mom and the older sister of my father are good friends at that time.

The next day, she went home and due to some envious lady (the entire family knows her by the way –thanks to her) who had an apparent crush on my father – some malicious story about my mother’s whereabouts the day before spread. My grandmother was furious like hell and my mom was beaten pretty badly. My grandmother thought that they eloped and she wants my mother to get married. Papa heard about this and he went to my grandmother asking her permission to marry her daughter. Marriage is what they are asking so that’s what my father gave them. In a way he married a strange in the person of my mom.

The start was quite a struggle but they married the same year, short after that alleged eloped thing happened. After the wedding, that’s when my father started courting my mom…hehe. Courtship came later in their case. There’s an unconventional wedding – a marriage out of obligation and in a way of pity to my mom. But the rest of their story was full of love and of dreams.

To the best parents in this world – you have given me so much and for that, I and my sister will always be grateful to the both of you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story!

Janey-ism said...

Yep :)