Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sister Talk

My mom handed me some monthly bills to pay and my sister can't help but comment when she left the room. She said, "Manang, thank you for this home, for sending me to school and for taking care good care of us." I paused and fight back the tears that is about to fall. That was my younger sister talking, a kid in my eyes and she was thanking me. I tease her and said, "Do you like me to buy you some chocolates?" she said, "No, but thank you so much."

The responsibilities that I have on my shoulder sometimes overwhelmed me. Family first before anything else. Family first before I think of my vacation. Family first over my wants. One of my close friend even tease me once, "Jane you are selfish when it comes to yourself" and I just shrugged his comment and said, "Someday".

When I think of it, God has been so good to us. Almost all businesses in Bacolod are struggling and my father's business is no exception but it came at the time that I was almost graduating and I was able to find a job that is sustainable enough for me to be able to provide my family. My sister has still 2 more years in college but I survived the first two years so I know that we will be fine. Being the breadwinner is no easy task but I am getting by and I guess more importantly, I have become a better individual through it all. I know now what is important and what is not. Knowing what is a necessity over my wants.

As I sat down beside my sister who sounded worried about me, I said.."It's all worth it, you are all worth it" and she kissed me.


My Dad and Lean


A big kiss from Lean

No comments: