Tuesday, March 31, 2009

10 Years After

Today, after so many years I went back to my primary school to be the guest speaker in their 30th closing exercise.

When I stepped in to my old school, lots of memories flood in not to mention the changes that had happened in the last 10 years. My old teacher that are once single are now happily married. Structure wise, many had changed as well (I'm happy to know that my old school has been a recipient of some funding from the government that enabled them to renovate the old building). I also bumped into some of my elementary classmates and boy, how I miss the old days of endless running in the playground. That school just like the other two, has a special place in my heart and I was holding back my tears as they ushered me to their hall where the ceremony will be held.

The speech was supposed to be simple yet direct. I know how kids react to speeches. They are boring and they are time consuming. I can relate very well since I used to complain about the same thing. But what meant to be a simple speech turn to be one of the most emotional speech I have ever given. As I walk towards the podium, the tears that I was holding the very first minute I stepped in just flow. I don't intend to give such an emotional speech but I guess that's a result if one talks from the heart rather than from the mind. There's always a first - and this is the first time that I cried in front of such an audience. Well, I wasn't the only one that cried, hehe... Thankfully I manage to give a joke and luckily everyone laugh.

It is indeed easier to talk to a bunch of professionals because all you have to do is appeal to their logic. But I realize today that it's not at all easy to talk and appeal to a child's heart. I guess the most rewarding part of this experience is seeing the smile on their faces both parents and children, that is somehow telling me that they understood what I'm trying to drive at and that I made perfect sense (I was worried for a minute that I was just blabbering but luckily, I didn't...whew!).

To the teachers - congratulations for a job well done. To the parents - congratulations and may you continue supporting your kids as they hurdle more challenges ahead. To the students - congratulations and rest assured that one day you will reap the fruits of your hardwork. See you after 10 years I guess. I hope you will not forget the challenge that I have given you guys.

To all the graduates, my warmest congratulations!

No comments: